A Ketogenic diet also called a Keto diet or a low carb diet is widely known around the world as a diet that helps in successful weight loss. The amount of work people put into losing weight has been greatly reduced as this regime makes it easy and natural as it forcefully makes the body utilizes the fat present giving almost magical results.
A ketogenic diet, or what is sometimes misspelt ketogen diet has a high consumption of fat, adequate consumption of protein and a low consumption of carbohydrates. The carbohydrates break down into glucose once consumed by the body. The brain is one of the most active parts of the body requires almost one-third of the glucose released.
Hence glucose acts as a kind of fuel for the activity of the brain and in turn the neurons. A ketogenic diet gives fewer carbohydrates to the body which forces the body to burn fat for energy requirements and not uses carbohydrates, replacing the glucose in the body with fatty acids and ketone.
When the brain functions on more ketone it is in a state of ketosis. This low carbs diet even helps children who suffer from Epilepsy as it restricts glucose which is the main fuel to the brain neurons. Most kids who have used this diet in some form or the other have benefited and a lesser strict diet is proving to be quite effective in adults who have epilepsy as well. In adults, the forceful usage of fat present in the body diminished the amount of unnecessary fat that is already present in the body.
Using a ketogenic diet helps people in weight loss, preventing diseases caused by obesity in many. The ketogenic diet may be one of the ways you may lose weight without starving yourself or going through gruelling amounts of exercise and workouts every day in your busy life. Obesity has reached an epidemic position in the world and many people suffer from it. People with obesity have high risks of diseases related to muscles and bones such as arthritis, lower back pain, and many heart-related issues and even cancer. The age-old difficult methods of weight loss can be thrown right out with this very simple yet result in a promising diet.
A keto diet only alters the natural processes of the body, moulding it in a way that is beneficial. This kind of diet helps the physical and mental health of the body along with weight loss. There are various reasons for weight gain. There might be a few psychological reasons which are complicated to solve, but the physiological reasons are the main reason why obesity is rampant. The environment of food has been changing over time and the current trend only leads to the path of obesity. Any person, child or adult would choose fries and burger over vegetables and sandwich and this has but becomes the human tendency nowadays. It is times like these that people require simple diets that show quick results like the ketogenic diet. Unlike many other diet programs, one need not completely stop eating or eat only so much that it drives them to starvation, although there are a few limitations in the ketogenic diet as well it gives you ample choices of food that you will enjoy eating. Some of the foods that can be enjoyed while following this diet are firstly seafood, high in Vitamin D, minerals and omega-3 they are almost completely carb free.
The others are low carbohydrate vegetables that contain less or no starch like kale, broccoli, cauliflower, a cup of cooked brussels sprouts. A surprising food in this list is cheese, one ounce of cheese is something that anyone on a diet would be ready to work with. In fact, regular consumption of cheese helps reduce fat in muscles, especially the ones related to ageing. Meat, poultry, eggs, avocados, plain Greek yoghurt are some of the top foods of this diet. Coconut oil which is a non-complicated fat that is easily digestible, olive oil which provides great benefits to the heart, different kinds of berries, nuts, coffee and tea which are not sweetened, dark chocolate and cocoa powder can all be consumed as well. While these foods fasten the process of your weight loss a few may slow the process too. Foods to avoid during the keto diet are quite a few but very mere compared to other diets. Such foods to be avoided are grains like rice, wheat and others, legumes like kidney peas and chickpeas, most fruits, sugars, sugary beverages and starchy items. Processed and packed food is also to be avoided but is better to be avoided completely than just for this diet as they cause harm to the health of an individual.
Anyone with an intention to lead a healthy life can take up this diet but a few conditions have to be either carefully monitored or some conditions require a person not to take up this diet completely. There are two kinds of conditions that have to be taken into account, medical physiological conditions and psychological conditions. • People who take blood pressure medicines have to be carefully monitored by the doctor as the levels may suddenly drop or rise. Even though this is a good sign there could be no harm with extra monitoring that gives safety.
• People who take lithium as a medicine should also be kept under a careful eye. Lithium is normally used in people with depression or as a mood stabilizer for some.
• Women who are going through pregnancy as they have a requirement for more amounts of protein.
• People with a pancreas that do not fully function as it becomes difficult for the body to digest fats in such a situation.
• Those who have a problem with kidney stones as this diet may sometimes recommend a certain level of water restriction and strict salt balance.
• Those who have metabolic disorders that already do not allow the natural breaking down of fat.
• People who have gone through bariatric surgery as fats may be more difficult for them to digest.
• People with anorexia should strictly stay away from this diet. Anorexia deserves a special mention because all the above points do not have to be taken extremely seriously or have to be followed exactly. These above points are just points of caution for those who face these problems to recognise with and choose if they want to take up this diet. People with all the above complications can still take up the ketogenic regimen by professional and consistent supervision but a psychological disorder like anorexia is one everyone has to be most cautious about. Anorexia is a kind of eating disorder that obsesses a person with their weight and what and how much food they eat thus making it quite obvious that taking up any kind of a diet, not just the keto diet is not advisable for them. Following a diet might tempt them into conveniently forgetting the important parts of what to consume compulsorily making it very unhealthy and dangerous which is against the ketogenic diet. With these points in mind, any person could easily proceed to take their first step into the ketogenic diet with positivity.
first of all, if you are not feeling comfortable with what you will be reading next. then better work with your doctor for a very perfect ketogenic programme.
– As discussed before in the article, opting for a ketogenic diet is not a matter of complication at all. Once a person who wants to take up this diet has read all the above factors and made sure of the medical measures he has to take before embarking on this journey, he is good to go! To allow the smooth transition from a normal diet to a keto diet, a few tips and strategies could always be helpful so as to not surprise the body with a sudden change. The first step is to learn the foods that you eat presently and the foods that you are requires to eat once you start the keto diet. By studying the food that you may or may not eat during the diet it will become easier for you to calculate how much of something you can eat. The next tip to smoothly transition into the keto diet is to calculate the net amount of carbohydrates you eat at present. This will help you mentally and physically prepare for the number of carbs that are going to be restricted in your diet. You can also slowly and steadily start making your food habits and environment keto-friendly. This does not mean ditching all the non keto friendly items in a single day but might include small gestures like not buying food of high carbohydrates when you go to the grocery store or avoiding to eat a high carb food for even a small meal and maybe have smaller fixed time periods that you shall follow before walking into the diet. The last step is to but go on the diet itself and stay on it consistently. This would be when you adopt it completely. Following the tips and strategies of before will help a little in staying on the diet once decided as it is not a drastic change to the body or the mind. However, to begin with, you could eat slightly more interesting keto-friendly food to keep you going and once you are used to its transition into a stricter and complete ketogenic diet.
Finally, if you still cannot avoid alcohol such as beer, red and white wine, and also margarine. don’t expect the magical result of your ketogenic diet as we mentioned in the beginning.